The Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma, WA holds legal and illegal immigrants who are in removal proceedings or awaiting deportation. Detainees may contact an immigration attorney at any time while in the Northwest Detention Center or other detention facilities. We strongly urge you to engage the services of an immigration attorney as soon as possible, preferably before removal proceedings begin.
In addition to personal visits, you can contact the Center at (253) 779-6000 for information on any legal or illegal immigrants being held there. The Center asks that you have his/her name, date and country of birth, alien registration number, and any aliases ready before calling. To contact a detainee, you may also call (253) 396-1611 to leave his/her full name and alien registration number, your phone number, and your message.
Help for Legal or Illegal Immigrants Facing Deportation
Seattle Law Group’s immigration law experts work with immigrants to ensure competent and professional representation throughout the complex and often protracted removal proceedings. Our extensive experience with immigration and bond cases means you or your loved one facing deportation will receive highly competent and effective legal assistance before, during, and after detention in the Northwest Detention Center or other facilities..
Our immigration attorneys have extensive knowledge of all forms of relief from removal, and understand how legal and illegal immigration status, among other factors, may effect the outcome of removal proceedings. We will use every available means to help clients avoid deportation and resolve any immigration problems, so as to stay in the United States.
Visiting Immigrants Held in the Northwest Detention Center
The Northwest Detention Center’s rules for visitation are as follows:
If you are already in the Northwest Detention Center, an immigration attorney can visit you any day between 6:00am and 6:00pm, at which time you may decide whether to engage him or her for your removal proceedings and/or bond hearing. After filing appropriate documentation with the immigration court, we may also continue to visit you at the Northwest Detention Center for legal consultation.
Consular officials may visit national of their country anytime.
Clergy visits outside the regularly-provided religious services are considered on a case-by-case basis, following consultation with members of the corresponding religious community.
The Northwest Detention Center demands that:
- Visits last no more than one hour and comprise no more than two adults and two minors
- All are subject to search and must appear entirely sober
- Possession of contraband in the detention center, including drugs, alcohol, or weapons, is grounds for prosecution
- Note that visitors may not chew gum
- Children must remain under control at all times
- Bare feet, revealing or otherwise suggestive clothing, and any other apparel the officer on duty finds inappropriate, are forbidden
- No weapons or firearms enter the detention center, and no items of any sort enter the visitation area
- There be no contact or passing of objects between visitors and detainee
Other Information for Detained Immigrants
You can contact the Immigration Court at (800) 898-7180, and the Board of Immigration Appeals can be reached at (703) 605-1007. All applications pertaining to the removal proceedings must be submitted directly to the Court at the following address:
1623 East J Street, Suite 3
Tacoma, WA 98421-1615
A Seattle Law Group immigration attorney is always ready to assist you in identifying and filing all relevant applications, including requests for relief from removal.
If you are contacting the court for information on a detainee, you will need his/her alien registration number to obtain information.
How Do I Post an Immigration Bond at the Northwest Detention Center, Tacoma, WA?
If an immigration bond has been determined for a legal or illegal immigrant detained in the Northwest Detention Center, an immigration attorney can help him or her through the following steps:
- Cashier’s Check / Money Order?Obtain a cashier’s check or money order from a bank. The cashier’s check must be made payable to the Department of Homeland Security.
- Bond Worksheet?Print and fill out the bond worksheet.
- Post the Bond?With the cashier’s check and bond worksheet, go to the Northwest Detention Center 1623 East J Street, Tacoma, WA 98421, and proceed to the second (2nd) floor.
- Process?It may take up to three (3) to five (5) hours for the government to process the bond request. Paperwork will be prepared for the detainee’s signature.
- Release?Once paperwork has been sign, the detainee should be released from the Northwest Detention Center within two (2) hours.